Announcing the Civil Society Fellowship
Dear Fellows,

We are delighted to announce the newest Fellowship of the Aspen Global Leadership Network – The Civil Society Fellowship, a partnership of ADL and the Aspen Institute. Focused on developing emerging U.S. civil society leaders, activists, and problem solvers from across the political spectrum, this Fellowship seeks to do what Fellowships are best at doing: bringing together diverse perspectives, cultivating mutual understanding and respect, and translating values into action. In a time where polarization and division in the United States are at its highest in decades, this initiative is needed now more than ever.

The launch of this Fellowship is the culmination of the work of many Fellows within the AGLN. I would like to thank Jonathan Greenblatt, a Henry Crown Fellow and CEO of ADL, who began thinking about this Fellowship in 2017 and did the work to get it off the ground. Henry Crown Fellow Nike Irvin, has been tapped to lead the program as its managing director. To ensure a strong pipeline of Fellow candidates, Fellows Sonal Shah, Trabian Shorters, and Shamina Singh have been named to the program’s advisory committee, among a number of prominent leaders from across civil society.

You can help build the Fellowship by providing stellar Fellow candidate nominations. Below, Nike gives more context for the program. Additionally, we recognize that the work of strengthening American democracy will require the efforts of many diverse perspectives, and great collaboration among community leaders today and tomorrow. We're excited to launch this Fellowship and equally excited about expanding it and increasing its impact in the future.

In fellowship,

DHL
David Langstaff
Interim Executive Vice President, Leadership Division
The Aspen Institute

Dear Fellows,

Hardly a day passes without a reminder that the United States is increasingly polarized. So many feel the country frozen behind ideologies, rigid and unwilling to find common ground. We search for signs of a thaw, and it can feel futile —especially during election cycles. Most of us know better than to expect unanimity. Yet we know most Americans yearn for greater civility, greater mutual respect and greater curiosity about others.  

Today, Fellows of the AGLN, it gives me tremendous joy to announce the Civil Society Fellowship: A Partnership of ADL and the Aspen Institute (CSF), a new addition to the Aspen Global Leadership Network. The CSF was designed to engage emerging civil society leaders at an inflection point in their work who can benefit from the Aspen Institute’s potent combination of text-based dialogue, deft moderation and unparalleled networks. The seminars unfold over three years and will include, as with all Fellowships, the launch of a transformational leadership venture.  

Our invitation to you today is to help us populate this first cohort of Civil Society Fellows. We need your nominations now. The nomination process is open and will close in late May. Even if you are not sure a certain individual is a sure-fire match today, we’d like to know about them. Remember the time someone noticed you and told you might make a great Fellow? Now is your turn to plant that seed for a possible next generation participant in the Civil Society Fellowship.   

I write this reflecting on 15 years since getting that lightning bolt call from Keith Berwick inviting me to become a member of the Henry Crown Fellowship’s 2004 class (Infin8 Class). I am tickled and elated to serve as inaugural managing director of the Civil Society Fellowship. The opportunity to witness ADL and the Aspen Institute deeply invest in next generation leaders inspires me and gives me confidence that solving America’s challenges are not beyond our reach. Please join us in helping to launch this new exciting addition to AGLN.  

Thank you for your interest and support. I look forward to seeing many of you at the Resnick Aspen Action Forum!  

Nike Irvin
Managing Director, Civil Society Fellowship 
www.civilsocietyfellowship.org 
Replies

Subscribe to Topic

If you're not seeing any posts on this page, you may need to log-in. Visit our home page to log-in and join the discussion!

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tag Topic