My Action Pledge - Weave: The Social Fabric Project
Tommy Loper
15 Posts
Dear Fellows,

This month marks my tenth year at the Aspen Institute. Over the last decade, I’ve had the privilege to support the launch and growth of the Aspen Global Leadership Network, create the annual Resnick Aspen Action Forum, and to get to know and be inspired by the thousands of Fellows in this network. And so, I am excited tell you about my next chapter with this community and the Aspen Institute.  

Since May, I’ve been working with David Brooks, author and columnist for the New York Times, who recently joined the Aspen Institute to design and launch a new effort called, “Weave: The Social Fabric Project.” Weave starts with the idea that social fragmentation is the central problem of our time — isolation, alienation and division. I am happy to announce that, in addition to my role with the Action Forum, I will be helping David to launch Weave.  

Our vision is to build a movement that will bond communities through locally-led dialogues. To do this, we plan to create engagement opportunities for members of the public and the thousands of constituents at the Aspen Institute – especially Fellows in the Aspen Global Leadership Network – who are interested in hosting dialogues within their own communities. Since the start, Fellows have supported this work including Pahara-Aspen Fellow Victor Reinoso‍ as a strategic partner representing Independent Sector, Pahara-Aspen Fellow Kaya Henderson‍ and Health Innovator Fellow Wayne Franklin‍ who are moderating two prototype dialogues for our national listening tour this fall, and many other Fellows who have shared recommendations for community builders, thoughts on program design, and more.  

That leads me to my Action Pledge: I will galvanize 100 communities in the in United States to participate in local dialogues to help rebuild the national fabric by 2020.

Over the coming months there will be many opportunities for Fellows to engage in this work. If you’re interested in joining this effort, please let me know here. Below I have included more information about the initiative and video of David discussing our big ideas at the Aspen Ideas Festival.

David will participate at the Action Forum this summer and we hope to speak with many of you about this exciting new opportunity with the Aspen Institute. 

Very best, 

Tommy 

Tommy Loper
Managing Director, The Resnick Aspen Action Forum 
Managing Director, Weave: The Social Fabric Project
The Aspen Institute

ABOUT 'WEAVE: THE SOCIAL FABRIC PROJECT'

Launched in the spring of 2018, Weave starts with the idea that social fragmentation is the central problem of our time — isolation, alienation and division. Fortunately, all across the country groups and individuals are rebuilding communities and creating social capital. Weave seeks to work with these groups to spur a movement to repair the national fabric. Weave seeks to identify these groups, celebrate them, synthesize the values that move them, and help forge a common identity. As a country, we have always come together and built movements that shift the culture and tackle our common problems: the civil rights movement, feminism, the environmental movement. Now the problem is loss of community, and it’s time to build a movement around that. Learn more at: https://www.aspeninstitute.org/weave

Replies

Subscribe to Topic

If you're not seeing any posts on this page, you may need to log-in. Visit our home page to log-in and join the discussion!

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.