An Update on the Aspen Global Leadership Network
Dear Fellows,

First and foremost, thank you! It has been a year of great change and enormous progress, so I want to thank you for your continued engagement in the work of the Fellowships and the Aspen Institute, and share my gratitude for your continued support of each other.

As we end the year, I would like to offer an update on the state of the Aspen Global Leadership Network and the Leadership Division at the Aspen Institute. Since I stepped in as interim Executive Vice President for Leadership in April, we have undergone a number substantive changes to help advance our work, strengthen the Fellowship, and position us for long term success:
  • First, we have decided to create a new position to oversee the Aspen Global Leadership Network, separate from the Executive Vice President of the Leadership Division. Our plan is launch a search for a Vice President, Aspen Global Leadership Network who will oversee the growth and nurturing of the network’s nearly 3,000 Fellows;
  • Second, we have expanded the scope of the Leadership Division by rehousing several of the Institute’s youth leadership programs within the Division, creating a portfolio that fosters the development of values-based leaders of all ages;
  • Third, we have begun to change our operating model to be more proactive and focused on strategic growth, starting with the hiring of a dedicated Development Director to support the Division.  

To ensure continuity and success of these initiatives, Dan Porterfield has paused the search for the permanent Executive Vice President of the Leadership Division, so I will stay on in an acting role for the time being. I will share with you our immediate plans for the AGLN in early 2019.

On a bittersweet note, I would like to acknowledge two transitions on our team. First, Dancey Glover, who many of you know through her years of work with Fellowship program teams and the moderator corps, will be leaving us to join Netflix. Dancey has been instrumental in the growth and success of the moderator corps, and we will be feeling her impact for years to come. Thank you, Dancey.

Second, 2019 will mark the last year of AGLN seminar moderation by Keith Berwick. So many of us know Keith as a friend, a mentor, and a moderator, having served the Institute in many capacities for over 20 years, notably as the founding Executive Director for the Henry Crown Fellowship. In 2019, Keith will moderate a Leading in the Era of Globalization seminar in February and attend the Resnick Aspen Action Forum in July. In addition, we are planning to hold a final Good Life alumni seminar in the fall of 2019. I look forward to continuing to work with Keith as a senior advisor to me during this time of transition and growth.  

Finally, I would like to take a moment to thank the AGLN program staff around the world. Through a year of great change, they have kept their focus on the job at hand, with both joy and resolve, and have delivered results for Fellows everywhere. Thank you for continued engagement and support.

Happy holidays,

DHL

David H. Langstaff
Interim Executive Vice President, Leadership
The Aspen Institute 
Replies

Subscribe to Topic

If you're not seeing any posts on this page, you may need to log-in. Visit our home page to log-in and join the discussion!

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tag Topic