The Braddock Scholars Program
"Hearing challenges from entrepreneurs in different sectors and different parts of their journey can open up the mind to look at old challenges in new ways." - 2016 Braddock Scholar
Made possible thanks to the generosity of Aspen Institute trustee, Rick Braddock, the Braddock Scholars program supports Fellows of the Aspen Global Leadership Network who aim to have transformational impact on society by bringing their venture to significant scale. The program supports selected Scholars through a combination of mentorship, peerlearning activities, a grant to fund a key scale active of the scholars choosing, and enhanced connectivity across the Aspen Institute.
The program is built on the belief that entrepreneurs are great at starting businesses, but the skills needed to effectively scale these innovations are very different. The program aims to bridge this “scaling gap” by channeling the expertise of a senior mentor towards the challenges the Fellow faces. The mentorship is defined by this specific mandate to focus on key scale challenges identified at the outset of the relationship. Scholars and mentors commit to spending at least one hour per month, having “board level” conversation. The Scholar class meets at least once annually to mobilize the wider Scholar and Mentor network as a broader advisory community.
- Have the ambition and ability to bring their organization to scale
- Live in the United States
- Can articulate a compelling set of “scale goals” for their Aspen Venture
- Can identify discrete “key initiatives” tied to these scale goals that will benefit from senior mentorship, and the support of the broader Aspen Global Leadership Network
- Develop and track “key metrics” that are leading indicators of achieving relevant scale goals
- Come prepared to mentor interactions (usually a monthly meeting either in person or over the phone) with updates on key initiatives and critical questions on which they seek insight and advice
- Commit to monthly mentor meetings and two-in person Fellowship gathers
- Be able to accept grant funding through their company of up to $25,000
- Prepare quarterly memos updating the Braddock Scholars Program on progress against key initiatives and new critical questions
- World-class mentorship
- Opportunities for peer-learning with other Braddock Scholars and program mentors
- Grant to fund a key initiative of the Scholar’s choosing
Mentors participating in the program include:
- Rick Braddock, Executive Chairman, Join ‘em LLC
- Arjun Gupta, Founder and Chief Believer, Telesoft Partners
- Bill Mayer, Founder, Park Avenue Equity Partners
- Bob Steel, Partner, Perella Weinberg Partners LP
- David McCormick, President, Bridgewater Associates
- Skip Battle, Senior Moderator, The Aspen Institute
- Ann Korologos, Chairman Emeritus, The Aspen Institute
- Jerry Greenwald, Managing Partner and Co-Founder, Greenbriar Equity Group LLC
- Joanna Rees, Managing Partner, West
- Marc Nathanson, Chairman, Mapleton Investments
- Dr. Kenneth Davis, President and CEO, Mount Sinai Health System
- Lewis Sanders, CEO, Sanders Capital, LLC
- Stewart Resnick, Chairman & President, The Wonderful Company
The Braddock Scholars program has supported 20 Scholars since 2015.
Please express interest to Alexis.Ettinger@AspenInstitute.org for more information.